ETHNOCOMM Digest - 28 Aug 2008 to 29 Aug 2008 (#2008-9)

Stephanie Jo Kent steph at COMM.UMASS.EDU
Sat Aug 30 15:56:33 UTC 2008

Hi Corinne, Stephen, and all list members -

I'm preparing to embark to the European Parliament for dissertation research on
how the Members of Parliament conceptualize and experience voice through
language choices, literally the use of a lingua franca (in which they may/may
not be fluent) or their (presumedly) best language (requiring utilization of
spoken language interpreters).

My blog will be updated regularly; I invite your input in any way you are
inclined.  I have already generated two key "blog categories" for the research
project: a thread/theme on method ("Call this Action Learning") and a section on
content ("Parliamentary Adventures") where I'll post preliminary impressions.  A
third category, "Diss Me, Baby", will be up and running soon - it will involve
learnings that exceed the scope of the dissertation proper, yet are inextricably
wound up with what I learn while engaging this project.

I also do plan to utilize this list for some specific questions; David knows
I've got one on the backburner . . . soon, man, soon!

best to all,
steph
doctoral candidate, Communication
UMass Amherst