Five new positions available at UMass, Amherst

David Boromisza-Habashi dbh at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 23 02:27:19 UTC 2008

FYI -- see especially the first position.

Cheers,

DBH

DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATION
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS, AMHERST

The Department of Communication at the University of Massachusetts
Amherst studies communicative processes at the levels of culture,
media, and representation; individuals, professionals and groups; and
institutions and social structures.  Much of our work takes place at
the intersections of these levels of analysis.  We are committed
teachers and active researchers whose perspectives and methods
encompass social science, cultural and professional orientations.  Our
faculty develops connections between theory and practice in order to
advance knowledge in the field, to promote informed public debate, and
to teach students how to think critically as citizens in a democratic
society. We are dedicated to making our teaching and research
accessible beyond the academy, as a force for sustainable social
change.

The Department of Communication of the University of Massachusetts,
Amherst seeks to extend its international, intercultural and
interdisciplinary faculty. We invite applications for five
tenure-track appointments at the Assistant Professor or Associate
Professor level, one in each of the following areas:

(1) Ref # 33687: International/Global and/or Intercultural
Communication: We seek an excellent scholar and teacher with a strong
theoretical grounding and an international profile who addresses
global communication from a broad range of perspectives. Areas of
interest may include:  language and social interaction; policy
analysis; communication for development and social change; and
ethnography articulated at a global, regional and/or national level.

(2) Ref # 33688: Quantitative Communication Research Methodologies:
We seek an outstanding scholar and teacher with strong theoretical
grounding who can apply specific quantitative communication
methodologies to the study of communication in social and cultural
environments.  Ideally, the successful candidate will also be familiar
with qualitative communication research methodologies.  Ability to
teach quantitative research methods at both undergraduate and graduate
levels is essential. Areas of emphasis may include interpersonal,
intercultural, media or international communication.

(3) Ref # 33690: Qualitative Communication Research Methodologies:  We
seek an excellent scholar and teacher with strong theoretical
grounding who can apply specific qualitative communication
methodologies to the study of communication in social and cultural
environments.  Ideally, the successful candidate will also be familiar
with quantitative communication research methodologies.  Ability to
teach qualitative research methods at both undergraduate and graduate
levels is essential. Areas of emphasis may include language and social
interaction, interpersonal, intercultural, media or international
communication.

(4) Ref # 33691: Journalism Studies:  We seek an excellent scholar
with a deep understanding of both the academic and professional fields
of journalism interested in working across the
journalism/communication studies divide. Desirable areas of expertise
include citizen journalism, online journalism, visual journalism,
and/or global journalism.

(5) Ref # 33692: Journalism: We seek an outstanding teacher with a
deep understanding of both the academic and professional fields of
journalism. Desirable areas of expertise will include ethics and new
media, as well as a content focus such as international reporting,
economics/business reporting or science/environmental reporting. A
Ph.D. is preferred, but applicants with a Masters degree and
significant professional experience will be considered for a permanent
lecturer position.

For all but the last position duties will include maintaining an
active research program and supervising students at B.A., M.A. and
Ph.D. levels. A completed Ph.D. is essential (with degree in hand by
February 1, 2009) for all but the last position.  Salary is
competitive. Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2008, and
will continue until the positions are filled.

Applications should include a letter specifying the applicant's
research and teaching interests, a curriculum vitae, list of
publications, three letters of reference, one article-length example
of research, and copies of recent teaching evaluations.

Please clearly identify the position and level you are applying for by
including the reference number (Ref #) and send materials to:

Jan Servaes, Chair
Department of Communication
401 Machmer Hall
240 Hicks Way
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA. 01003-9278, USA
Email: jservaes at comm.umass.edu

The Department of Communication and the College of Social and
Behavioral Sciences are committed to fostering a diverse faculty,
student body, and curriculum. Please go to www.umass.edu for
information on UMass Amherst, the flagship campus of the University of
Massachusetts system, or to www.umass.edu/communication for more
information on the Department of Communication.   The university is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer; inquiries from women
and members of minority communities are strongly encouraged.

--
David Boromisza-Habashi
Department of Communication

work (303) 735 5076