Book Reviews for Journal of Multicultural Discourses (Routledge)

David Boromisza-Habashi dbh at COLORADO.EDU
Thu May 14 04:25:28 UTC 2009

>From: Miguel Pérez Milans<miguel_milans at HOTMAIL.COM>
>To: DISCOURS at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>Subject: Re:Book Reviews for Journal of Multicultural Discourses (Routledge)
>Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 19:13:24 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the Journal of Multicultural Discourses (Routledge),
edited by Professor Shi-xu (China), and as one of the book review
editors, I would like to invite you and your colleagues to consider
submitting a review for this new journal. Please see below for further
details. A list of recent publications that can be requested from
publishers is also pasted. Other books you may be interested in
reviewing can also be requested, just let us know.

Kind regards
Miguel Pérez Milans

Call for Reviews
Journal of Multicultural Discourses (Routledge)
Editor-in-Chief: Shi-xu
Review Editors: Sharon Harvey, Miguel Pérez Milans, Doreen Wu
‘an exciting and much needed new development. The new journal will
help to question existing assumptions about discourse analysis and
ultimately widen understanding of the processes of language.’ Michael
Billig, co-editor, Discourse & Society, University of Loughborough, UK

The Journal of Multicultural Discourses (Routledge), edited by
Professor Shi-xu, is now calling for reviews of publications and
events which are relevant to the purposes of the journal
(http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/1744-7143). In summary, we are
seeking reviews that examine 1) the recovery and reconstruction of
intellectual traditions on language and communication from cultures
outside the west (and/or non-western cultures inside the west),
including those discussing the methods and epistemologies of such
research and 2) studies in language and communication practices
outside mainstream cultures. For this new journal, the editorial team
is particularly interested in accepting innovative and even
provocative reviews which go well beyond content summaries and
promotional endorsements. A range of review formats will be considered
including but not limited to:
* A critical examination of several recent publications
* A fresh consideration of a historical text/s, particularly
non-western texts that have not previously been brought before an
international audience
* A contrast and comparison of a seminal work with a recent
publication in a related field
* An analysis of several journal publications in an emerging field
* A description and critique of an event or series of events such as a
public lecture series, conferences or a postgraduate summer school.

The Journal of Multicultural Discourses has three reviews editors:
Sharon Harvey (Sharon.harvey at aut.ac.nz), Miguel Pérez Milans
(miguel_milans at hotmail.com) and Doreen Wu (ctdwu at polyu.edu.hk). While
you can contact either reviews editor to propose a review, Sharon will
take responsibility for reviews engaging with cultural studies
(including postcolonialism) and related disciplines; Miguel will be
responsible for reviews on the cultural diversity of language and
communication as well as the scholarships on them; Doreen will take
primary responsibility for reviews dealing with linguistics and
communication. New books will be offered for review in the near future
and the reviews editors can request books you are interested in
reviewing from the publishers.

Reviews should be between 1,000 – 3,000 words long (all inclusive). If
requesting a book/books, your review should reach the review editor
within three months of your receipt of the book. Your review is likely
to be published within six to twelve months following the acceptance
of the manuscript. We are planning to include 4-6 reviews per issue
(three issues per year). Please see the journal website
(http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/1744-7143) for publication
guidelines.

Possible publications for review:
Allatson, P & Jo McCormack (eds.) (2008). Exile Cultures, Misplaced
Identities. Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi.

Alim, H.S., A. Ibrahim & A. Pennycook (eds.) (2008). Global linguistic
flows: hip hop cultures, youth identities, and the politics of
language. London: Routledge.

Bhatia, V.K., Candlin, C.N. & E. Allori (eds) (2008). Language,
Culture and the Law. The Formulation of Legal Concepts across Systems
and Cultures. Bern: Peter Lang.

Bulbeck, Chilla (2008). Sex, Love and Feminism in the Asia Pacific. A
Cross-Cultural Study of Young People's Attitudes. London: Routledge

Codó, E. (2008). Immigration and Bureaucratic Control: Language
Practices in Public Administration. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

Djité, P.G. (2008). The Sociolinguistics of Development in Africa.
Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.

Duchêne, A. & M. Heller (eds) (2008). Discourses of Endangerment:
Ideology and Interest in the Defence of Languages. London: Continuum.

Falck Borch, M., Knudsen, E.R., Leer, M. & C. Ross (eds.) (2008).
Bodies and Voices. The Force-Field of Representation and Discourse in
Colonial and Postcolonial Studies. Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi.

Gokulsing, K. Moti & Dissanayake, Wimal (eds.) (2008). Popular Culture
in a Globalised India. London & New York: Routledge.

Hjorth, Larissa & Chan, Dean (eds.) (2009). Gaming Cultures and Place
in Asia-Pacific. New York: Routledge.

Kanno, Yasuko (2008). Language and Education in Japan. Unequal access
to bilingualism. New York: Palgrave.

Koller, Veronica. (2008). Lesbian Discourses: images of a community.
New York: Routledge.

Kubota, Ryuko & Lin, Angel M. Y. (eds.) (2009). Race, Culture, and
Identities in Second Language Education. Exploring Critically Engaged
Practice. New York: Routledge.

Richardson, John (2009). (Mis)Representing Islam. The racism and
rhetoric of British broadsheet newspapers. Amsterdam: John Benjamins
Publishing.

Schwartz, A. & R. West-Pavlov (eds.) (2007). Polyculturalism and
Discourse. Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi.

Wallace, Lee (2009). Lesbianism, Cinema, Space: The Sexual Life of
Apartments. New York: Routledge.

Miguel Pérez Milans
Department of Linguistics
University Autonomous of Madrid (Spain)