Eating disorders and ethnographic/narrative/qualitative research--call for feedback

Christine Kiesinger ckiesinger at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 29 22:51:51 UTC 2010

 Dear colleagues:

Lisa Tillmann, Carolyn Ellis and I are working on a book project andwould appreciate your feedback.  Below, please find a brief descriptionof the book followed by a set of questions.  To those who teach coursesor do research in the areas related to our project, we would appreciateyour responses to our questions.

Book Description:  Tentatively titled, "Documenting Eating Disordersand Recovery,"  this book project brings together the many phases ofour individual and collective work related to eating, body image,bulimia and recovery.  The book will include excerpts from my ethnographic researchon anorexic and bulimic women; Lisa's works; "A Secret Life in aCulture of Thinness," and "Body and Bulimia Re-visited," and ourco-authored piece "Interactive Interviewing: Making Sense of EmotionalExperience."  New material in the book will include an evocativeportrayal of our filmed 2009 interview sessions in which we revisit thework we've done over the course of the last decade and explore newissues related to recovery, aging and the changing body.  Mediatedworks, such as edited clips from our interview sessions, originalmusic, and digital art will accompany the book.

Our hope for this project is that it will raise consciousness about theways that culture conspires to help us feel deficient, to see ourbodies and our lives as riddled with problems that can be solvedthrough consumer culture.  The work will expose and undermine thosemessages and illuminate multiple pathways toward healthier ways ofliving and being.

If you teach in areas related to the topics this book aims to addressand would consider using a text like ours,  please respond to thefollowing questions:

1. Course title
2. Professor Name
3. Professor Affiliation
4. How many students are typically enrolled and how often is the course taught?
5. Would this book be required?
6. Book/s currently used?

Thank you--Christine Kiesinger, Carolyn Ellis, Lisa Tillmann