Book excerpt on political communication and international relations

Miller | The Policy Lab derekbmiller at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 21 16:13:30 UTC 2011

 Dear all,

In 2007 I published a book with Palgrave called Media Pressure on Foreign Policy: The Evolving Theoretical Framework. Admittedly, it wasn't the Christmas present of the year as I was hoping — catchy title though it had. Nevertheless, in the final chapter I put forward n explicit (and I like to think lucid) argument for the value of taking a communication studies approach (particularly an ethno-com approach) to the study of international relations (I have a Ph.D in IR, so I'm looking "in" on ethno-comm for its potential).

I think the need to press this kind of agenda is more salient now than ever.

So if anyone is working on the nexus of ethnocomm and IR or political science (or has a special interest in positioning theory — and heck, who doesn't?) you can download this segment of the chapter (and the relevant endnotes, which I super-glued to the end of it) on Academia.edu:

http://thepolicylab.academia.edu/DerekBMiller/Papers/876439/Political_Communication_and_International_Relations_-_Book_Excerpt

The book itself (reviewed by Steven Livington, and Rom Harré) is here:
http://us.macmillan.com/mediapressureonforeignpolicy

There is also an companion piece to this that I published in Journalism Studies (Vol. 11 No. 5, Oct 2010) called The Morality Play: Getting to the Heart of Media Influence on Foreign Policy.

Best,

Derek
_________________
Dr. Derek B. Miller
Director

The Policy Lab
321 Columbus Ave.
Seventh Floor of the Electric Carriage House
Boston, MA 02116
United States of America

Phone
+1 617 440 4409
Twitter
@Policylabtweets
Web
www.thepolicylab.org (http://www.thepolicylab.org)

This e-mail includes proprietary and confidential information belonging to The Policy Lab, Ltd. All rights reserved.