Applying Cultural Knowledge to Design Problems

Miller | The Policy Lab derekbmiller at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 25 16:33:49 UTC 2011

 This lecture was presented in March, 2009, to the U.S. Training and Doctrine Command's "Culture Summit." It was co-authored with Lisa Rudnick. It is is a 40 minute lecture that introduces the military to the idea of using cultural knowledge as a strategic asset in the design of local action — not to win wars, but rather to better achieve social and political objectives in culturally unfamiliar contexts.

This lecture was the first piece by Miller/Rudnick that properly explored the issue of design, and the movement of cultural knowledge to design processes. Now over two years old, the piece is only starting to gain some traction, including a recent invitation to lecture to NATO Center's of Excellence on Reducing Cultural Barriers to Maritime Security (also available on Academia.edu)

http://thepolicylab.academia.edu/DerekBMiller/Papers/887307/Applying_Cultural_Knowledge_to_Design_Problems_Notes_for_the_U.S._Military_about_Challenges_and_Opportunities

Of particular interest to those interested in applying ethnocomm approaches to solving problems that benefit from comparative cultural discourse analysis.

This piece has published in an academic journal but is also available on UNIDIR's website.

Derek Miller
PS. On a personal note, I'm very pleased to have this listserv running, but it would also be nice if we took advantage to actually chat a bit about topics on our minds. 130 very quiet people out there. Meanwhile, I'm active on a listserv with designers and they never stop talking …

_________________
Dr. Derek B. Miller
Director

The Policy Lab
321 Columbus Ave.
Seventh Floor of the Electric Carriage House
Boston, MA 02116
United States of America

Phone
+1 617 440 4409
Twitter
@Policylabtweets
Web
www.thepolicylab.org (http://www.thepolicylab.org)

This e-mail includes proprietary and confidential information belonging to The Policy Lab, Ltd. All rights reserved.