Fwd: Post-doc at UMASS / announcement for ETHNOCOMM listserv

David Boromisza-Habashi dbh at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Jul 11 21:26:11 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Donal Carbaugh <carbaugh at comm.umass.edu>
Date: Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM
Subject: Post-doc at UMASS / announcement for ETHNOCOMM listserv
To: David Boromisza-Habashi <dbh at colorado.edu>

The Position: The Department of Communication at the University of
Massachusetts Amherst is seeking a post-doctoral Fellow for one year,
September 2011 until August of 2012.  The post-doc will work at UMass
and will join a research project sponsored by the Human Machine
Interface Group in General Motors' Research and Development Advanced
Technical Center. The basic purpose of the research is to examine
cultural variations in communication within, and about automobiles. To
date, the project has provided GM with an ethnographic theory and
methodology for doing this research. During the post-doc period, the
project will involve detailed field studies in two locations of the
United States. The duties of the post-doc are assisting the UMass
Principal Investigator in all aspects of this research. Interested
applicants should submit a brief letter of inquiry to Professor Donal
Carbaugh (carbaugh at comm.umass.edu) no later than July 25.

The Program and Department: The UMass Communication Department has an
active group of faculty and students working in ethnographic and
cultural approaches to social interaction. Topical foci of our
research include intercultural communication, personhood, ethnic and
racial identity, environmental communication, power in discourse, and
interaction in talk radio. Faculty in this area of our graduate
program vary in background and specific research interests, but we are
united in addressing questions of social interaction, culture, and
meaning:

How is meaning jointly constructed in interaction?
How are meaning-making processes culturally and contextually embedded,
embedding, and variable?
What are the roles of power in interaction?
How do theoretical constructs and perspectives such as culture,
nature, identity, performance, morality, and politics help us to
understand these processes and relationships?

We emphasize qualitative methods, particularly ethnography and
discourse analysis, in our approach to these problems. The overall
strengths of the Communication department in qualitative methods,
social theory, and issues of representation complement these
approaches to culture and social interaction.