Call for papers: Endangered Metaphors Volume II

idstrom at MAPPI.HELSINKI.FI idstrom at MAPPI.HELSINKI.FI
Tue Oct 16 17:58:09 UTC 2012

Call for papers: Endangered Metaphors Volume II

Metaphors in endangered languages became a focus of increasing
international academic attention since John Benjamins published the
volume “Endangered Metaphors” (eds. Anna Idström & Elisabeth
Piirainen, in co-operation with Tiber Falzett) in March 2012.
[http://benjamins.com/catalog/clscc.2]. This volume consists of 15
articles on endangered languages spoken in Papua New Guinea, India,
Peru, Alaska, Ghana, Finland, etc. These articles provide priceless
original data and a wealth of information about linguistic and
conceptual metaphors which are in danger of vanishing without a trace
if languages die or significantly change under pressure of more
powerful majority languages.

Now it is time to continue work. Therefore we call for papers to another book:

“Endangered Metaphors Volume II – Vanishing Images, Changing
Conceptualizations”.

We hope to find authors who have competence in preparing an article
about an endangered language, preferably an indigenous language spoken
outside of Europe. The book will concentrate on two themes: the rich
imagery manifested in idioms (we hope to receive papers on indigenous
languages whose idioms are not yet documented comprehensively to
promote their documentation), and conceptual differences between a
minority language and a majority language. Concerning the latter topic
we hope to receive papers which compare conceptual metaphors of an
endangered language with those of the language that threatens its
existence.

If you are interested in contributing to the volume, please send an
abstract of your paper to Dr. Anna Idström, anna.e.idstrom AT
helsinki.fi, by the end of November 2012.