FW: Now Out: Kids on YouTube

David Boromisza-Habashi dbh at COLORADO.EDU
Fri May 9 18:41:50 UTC 2014

>From Tamar Katriel:

"Following up on our discussions in Omaha and DC, the new book linked below may be of interest to the list as it follows the EtnoComm paradigm of studies of language socialization (Shirley Brice-Heath's Ways with Words, in particular) to the domain of technology studies."

________________________________
From: "Patricia Lange" <0000001d76d4a25d-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
To: ACIG-L at LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:10:54 PM
Subject: Now Out: Kids on YouTube

Dear Colleagues,

Following others’ example, I’m announcing the publication of my new book, Kids on YouTube: Technical Identities and Digital Literacies (Left Coast Press, 2014). If you’d like to write a review let me know! The book describes what kids learn (and what they don’t) when they hang out on the ‘Tube. Please feel free to pass along to interested colleagues!

Book description is here: https://www.lcoastpress.com/book.php?id=500

Henry Jenkins did a multi-part blog interview series with me:
Part one: http://henryjenkins.org/2014/03/kids-on-youtube-an-interview-with-patricia-lange-part-one.html
Part two: http://henryjenkins.org/2014/03/kids-on-youtube-an-interview-with-patricia-lange-part-two.html
Part three: http://henryjenkins.org/2014/03/kids-on-youtube-an-interview-with-patricia-lange-part-three.html
Part four: http://henryjenkins.org/2014/03/kids-on-youtube-an-interview-with-patricia-lange-part-four.html

Table of Contents
Chapter 1  Introduction: Ways With Video | 8
Chapter 2  Video-Mediated Friendships: specialization and Relational expertise | 32
Chapter 3  Girls Geeking out on YouTube | 63
Chapter 4  Mediated Civic engagement | 97
Chapter 5  Video-Mediated Lifestyles | 126
Chapter 6  Representational ideologies | 157
Chapter 7  On being self-Taught | 189
Chapter 8  Conclusion | 216
Appendix: Studying YouTube: An ethnographic Approach | 231

Best regards,

Patricia G. Lange
Assistant Professor
Critical Studies