[Ethnocomm] e-seminar

Munoz, Kristine L kristine-fitch at uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 11 03:53:28 UTC 2016

On interdisciplinarity and internationality:  This may almost go without saying, so I'll say it.  Ethnographers, more than many in SOME of the fields they hale from - notably communication - often immerse themselves in second and subsequent languages to a point where they - we - are able to conduct in-depth inquiry in, and about, those languages.  That both allows for international research, obviously, and I think gives a particular sensitivity to the cultural situatedness of language use that characterizes ethnography.  My interdisciplinary journey has recently led me to shift most of my appointment into Spanish and Portuguese, where I teach about Colombian culture from literature, film and journalistic work, as well as incorporating the same kinds of observation and interviewing assignments I've always used in communication classes. I was profoundly fortunate to be greeted with open arms by colleagues in this humanities-based department who needed additional coverage of South America in the curriculum and have been generous with their time and expertise as I learn a whole new range of teaching skills. My dream is to lead a study abroad group to Medellin one day, a mix of Spanish majors and Comm Studies majors, and that the in-person interviews they do as part of the intercultural communication course that begins there will then be followed up with online exchanges that go on the rest of the semester.  Ethnographic theory and methods will be the starting place for all of this - just as soon as the US Department of State lifts that travel ban to Colombia -

Sent from my iPad