[Ethnocomm] e-seminar: a response from Tamar Katriel

Tamar Katriel tamark at edu.haifa.ac.il
Thu Feb 18 05:40:05 UTC 2016

Hi All,

The e-seminar format David had in mind based on the Ling. Ethnography one,
which is similar to a very successful one I'm familiar with of a Media
Anthropology network, gives a few days for a discussion of the author of
the piece discussed response to be further responded to. This is so as to
give an opportunity to disperse the last word among list members. I
personally like this format and suggest that we give a few more days, until
the originally designated 22/2, to substantive comments. Of course, I have
a vested interest this time, as I spent several hours formulating my
response.

Then, since it is our first try, it would indeed be very good, as Wendy
suggests, to debrief about the process and see if we want to modify the
format and address the other issues as well. I have my thoughts but will
keep them for later.

And while I'm at it, here's a link to a NY Review of Books article that
came out a couple of weeks  ago and touches on some of the points relating
to the digital environment that came up in our discussion, in case you
haven't seen it. It was re-circulated to subscribers today, which I think
means it has been widely read

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/02/25/we-are-hopelessly-hooked/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NYR%20Scalia%20and%20the%20constitution%20the%20chess%20master%20and%20the%20computer&utm_content=NYR%20Scalia%20and%20the%20constitution%20the%20chess%20master%20and%20the%20computer+CID_2f5f707cfcfac768f69ce5f00a044059&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_term=We%20Are%20Hopelessly%20Hooked

All best,
Tamar