[Ethnocomm] New Works

Donal Carbaugh carbaugh at comm.umass.edu
Wed Nov 23 16:16:20 UTC 2016

Thanks to those who have posted recently about their new works. It is nice
to see such good research being done by our community. I want to do all I
can to encourage all of us to post our new works here, articles, books,
chapters, and the like. It makes it easier to get that work into our hands
when we do so.

So, I'll add a new book just released:

Donal Carbaugh and Michael Berry. Reporting cultures on 60 Minutes: Missing
the Finnish line in an American broadcast. (Routledge, 2017).

This is a book about reporting as a cultural practice of communication. The
authors explore several ways reports are constructed and used by the media:
some as officially prepared as when done by journalists; others as less
officially done as by ourselves or others in everyday routines. Examined in
detail is a report about Finnish culture that was constructed in a segment
of the television program, 60 Minutes. This brings into view journalistic
practices of reporting culture but also Finnish lay people reporting,
American lay people reporting, with each reporting not only about their
homeland but also about the other's ways of doing things. This range of
reporting practices gives voice to deeply cultural dynamics which are at
play in international affairs on such a multicultural stage.

I hope you find the book of interest.

Donal

Professor of Communication

Department of Communication