[Ethnocomm] NCA 2019 panel: Small colleges and study abroad

Nadezhda Sotirova nsotirov at morris.umn.edu
Mon Mar 11 20:07:05 UTC 2019

NCA 2019 panel UCUS: "Survival in the global century:  Small colleges and
the big benefits of study abroad & other internationalization plans"

As we continue to struggle to create arguments that small college and
university Communication programs are relevant for today, and practical for
our students thinking about their futures, it is essential to specifically
develop ways to articulate the usefulness of internationalism and study
abroad within our departments and disciplines.  The investigation of the
global in/with the local, the exploration of intercultural experiences, and
the rhetorical examination of arguments regarding “cosmopolitanism” are all
connected in this endeavor. In this panel, faculty from a variety of types
of institutions focussed on serving undergraduates, describe the variety of
initiatives taken by themselves and their peers, summarize their
assessments, and suggest lessons learned which we might all apply, in our
efforts to survive at a time when institutions are looking to cut programs.

WHO wants to join in????  The above list of 3 sub-topics are just a
suggestion.  I would like to describe my media courses with international
partnerships-- to give students a global experience without travel.  I’d
really like some IC and some Rhetoric folks to join in. Maybe a sentence or
two if not a lengthy abstract???

Deadline March 25
Contact Barbara Burke, burkebr at morris.umn.edu

--