[Ethnocomm] NCA Short Course on my new intercultural communication textbook!

David Boromisza-Habashi dbh at Colorado.EDU
Thu Sep 17 01:04:35 UTC 2020

Dear Fellow Ethnocommers,

I am delighted to announce that my new textbook, Intercultural Communication: Pathways to Better Interactions, will be published on November 1, 2020! I am indebted to many of you who had graciously agreed to review the manuscript and send valuable suggestions for revision.

How to best describe the book? One way would be to say, if you like to combine the ethnography of communication with discourse analysis in your teaching and/or  research, this is a textbook for you. Another way would be: if Agar's Language Shock, Carbaugh's Cultures in Conversation, Morgan's Speech Communities, Tracy & Robles's Everyday Talk, and Philipsen's Speaking Culturally had a baby, this book would be it. One more: this textbook has an interpretivist body and a critical heart. One last one: if you are looking for an intercultural communication textbook that's written for the intercultural practitioner in an engaging, personal style, and is chock-full of actual intercultural interactions and my students' and my own personal anecdotes, look no further.

Please scroll down to preview the textbook's table of contents!

To learn more about the book and its uses in the undergraduate intercultural communication course, please consider joining me for a virtual, synchronous short course at this year's NCA convention. The short course I will host is titled "SC02: Teaching the Basic Intercultural Communication Course from a Language and Social Interaction Perspective: A Cultural Pragmatics Approach to Pedagogy<https://ww4.aievolution.com/nca2001/index.cfm?do=ev.viewEv&ev=10686>" and is scheduled for Thursday, November 19, 9.30-12.15 am US Eastern Time. The fee to register for a short course for Regular members and Non-members is $20 per course; $10 per course for student NCA members. All participants will receive a free digital copy of the book from the publisher, Cognella!

When you decide to register for the course, let me ask you to send me an email (dbh at colorado.edu<mailto:dbh at colorado.edu>) to let me know (1) that you are planning to join the short course, and (2) if you are able to join the live Zoom session at the scheduled time. If I hear from many of you that you can't make it to a live (synchronous) session during the scheduled time I will pre-record the session and upload it to the convention site.

Thank you for considering attending this short course! I would love to tell you all about the book, its history, its many uses in the classroom, and related supplementary materials.

Cheers, David

---

Intercultural Communication: Pathways to Better Interactions (Cognella, 2020)
David Boromisza-Habashi

Brief Table of Contents

Chapter 1
"Where Do I Look for Culture?"
A Practical Approach to Intercultural Communication

Chapter 2
"What Does Communication Have to Do With Culture?"
Introducing Cultural Pragmatics

Chapter 3
"How Do I Do This Well? How Do I Do It Right?"
Practical and Ethical Reflections on Building Culture

Chapter 4
"What Does That Word Mean to Them?"
Words and Key Terms

Chapter 5
"What Happens When I Don't Speak Their Language?"
Different Languages, Different Codes

Chapter 6
"Why Do They Call Each Other That?"
Personal Address

Chapter 7
"Were They Trying to Be Rude?"
Doing Things With Speech

Chapter 8
"Is That Appropriate to Talk / Joke About?"
The Topic of Talk

Chapter 9
"Wait, Was That Sexist / Biased / Racist?"
Moral Issues in Everyday Life

Chapter 10
"Why Aren't They Saying Anything?"
The Amount of Talk and Silence

Chapter 11
"But Why Wouldn't They Smile at Me?"
Embodied Interaction

Chapter 12
"How Does This Make Sense to Them?"
Cultural Meanings of Communication

Chapter 13
"Is This Normal to Them?"
When Our Sense of Normality Is Disrupted

Chapter 14
"What Does an Intercultural Practitioner Actually Do?"
A Guide to Building Culture

---
David Boromisza-Habashi, Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Associate Professor
Associate Chair for Graduate Studies
Department of Communication
University of Colorado Boulder