[etnolinguistica] FW: Lenition in Northwest Ge

Dan Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Wed Apr 2 03:50:24 UTC 2003

Andres,

Very useful stuff in the answer. People do seem to be confused by the
claims of Structure Preservation, since there are so many ways around
it, as you mention in the reference to pre-compiled allomorphy. And
Ellen Kaisse has some work on post-lexical processes that suggest the
possibility of SP, though nothing quite like the Suya case.

One question: why do you think that fortition would solve the problem of
/k/?

Of course, there are many potential phonetic explanations for the Suya
facts, but those facts to show that the purely architectonic solution of
Structure Preservation is problematic for traditional Lexical Phonology.

In recent work, Paul Kiparsky has argued for re-ranking Optimality
Theoretic constraints according to morphological status, e.g. different
rankings for root, stem, and word, etc. Let us say that the Suya rule of
Lenition is the Context Sensitive rule and that there is a Context Free
rule of feature markedness for Suya of the type: *[dorsal,continuant].
Then the ranking would be, throughout the Suya phonology: CF >> CS.
Typical Structure Preservation would be CF >> CS in the lexicon but CS
>> CF everywhere else. This proposal of Kiparksy's allows OT to capture
Structure Preservation (and opacity) without appeal to things such as
'Sympathy Theory'. It does not, however, account for the rarity of the
Suya process. On the other hand, rarity is not a very good argument for
anything, as Peter Ladefoged and I argued in our 1996 Language article
'The problem of phonetic rarities'.

If this discussion is a bit too opaque for readers who have not seen the
facts, let me know and I can post an abstract of the Suya research to
this list.

Once again, Andres, thanks very much for your remarks, which quite
useful indeed.

-- Dan

P.S. Do discussions on this list normally take place in English? I could
have responded in Portuguese, but am not sure of what normally takes
place on this list.

Dan Everett
Professor of Phonetics and Phonology
Department of Linguistics