[etnolinguistica] RE: Lenition in Northwest Ge

Andres P Salanova kaitire at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 3 01:15:57 UTC 2003

Hello Dan

> Andres asks: "One question I would like to ask is what the nature of the
> evidence is for believing that the process in question is lenition
> rather than fortition. If this were fortition, it would be quite
> unproblematic, right?"
>
> Sorry, I missed your point the first time around. The reason I do not
> consider it fortition, i.e. assuming that r/w are strengthed
> phrase-internally to t/p is that nonalternating /r/s and /w/s also
> occur.

Yes, this is what I meant, but let me press on a little further. By
nonalternating /r/s and /w/s do you mean /r/s and /w/s that stay sonorant
even when an "echo vowel" isn't inserted, or /r/s and /w/s that are
_always_ followed by an echo vowel, even phrase-internally? If it were the
latter, can the class of words that have such final consonants be
characterized in any independent way (i.e., verbs vs. other words)?

> Moreover, the conditions for /p/ lenition are different, slightly. While
> both t and p lenite pre-pausally, p also lenites in coda position.
>
> So, we have: 	t --> r/___##
> 			p --> w/___. and ___##
> 			k --> g/___## (Optional)

I'm confused here; again, does t-->r, p-->w mean t-->tV, p-->wV, or can
lenition occur independently of vowel epenthesis?

Could you send some examples of the leniting words and the /r/ and /w/
final words that don't alternate?

Best,
	Andres

Visite a página do grupo Etnolingüística, no endereço seguinte:
Submeta textos para discussão, contribua com a "Biblioteca Virtual", sugira contatos que venham a ser do interesse dos membros do grupo.  Enfim, participe!
Para cancelar sua assinatura deste grupo, envie um e-mail para: