[etnolinguistica] onset-sensitive stress

Nina Topintzi uclyiot at YAHOO.GR
Sun Dec 7 15:08:15 UTC 2003

Dear all,

Prior to this message I have recently contacted some of you
individually, so you may not wish to read this message again. A
couple of you also suggested that I pose this question to the list
too and this is what I do now.

I am PhD student in Phonology at UCL in London working on my thesis
on onset sensitive stress. I am currently working on Piraha, which
seems to have some onset sensitivity on stress, but my hunch is that
other South American - most likely Amazonian - languages may show
similar effects (Karo and Arabela are potential candidates in some
way).

I was wondering if anyone knows of any other languages with some kind
of onset sensitivity for stress, e.g. do onsetful syllables
(generally or of a certain quality) attract (or even reject) stress
more than onsetless or onsetful but with a different type of onset do?

Those of you who find this question interesting and know what I mean
by onset-sensitive stress don't need to read the next two paragraphs.
Those of you who find this question interesting, but are not sure of
what I mean by onset-sensitive stress, below you may find a summary
of the Piraha stress system.

In Piraha for instance (Everett 1988), if all syllables are of equal
weight, then the rightmost within the last three syllables of the
word gets stress, e.g. gi.go.'gi  'what about you' (I use the
apostrophe just before the stressed syllable to indicate that it gets
stress). If weight among the syllables is unequal then there is the
following scale in terms of syllable and stress interactions: PVV >
BVV > VV > PV >BV (where P=voiceless stop, B=voiced stop, VV=long
vowel, V=short vowel, > = the syllable on the left of the symbol
attracts stress more than the one on its right). Some examples are:

(1)    '?a.ba.gi    'toucan'
(2)   ?a.ba.'pa    'Amapa (city name)'
(3)    pia.hao.gi.so.'ai.pi    'cooking banana'
(4)    ho.aa.'gai       'species of fruit'

In (1) the first syllable has a PV and this is better stress
attractor than BV, so gets stressed, in (2) there are two PVs and one
BV. The competition is between the two PVs. The last one gets it as
it is the rightmost one. In (3) the penult VV competes with two PVs
(one in the antepenult, the other in the ultima) and it wins. This
also shows that there is a trisyllabic window effect at the right
edge. If any syllable could get stress, then 'hao' would be the best
one, because it is PVV. However, it doesn't get stressed because it
is further to the left than the three last syllables. Finally, in (4)
BVV competes with PV and VV, but given the scale above, it takes
stress.

Essentially, Piraha has a system where the presence of an onset
counts, the weight of the vowel matters and also the quality of the
onset has an effect. These interact in some ways and yield the above
facts. I have a possible story for this system and I am also looking
for other systems which have similar stuff. There has been work done
on this domain by Rob Goedemans and Stuart Davis, but all the systems
they explore could be re-analysed in some other way (and that's
indeed what they do). But I believe that languages like Piraha resist
an adequate analysis and now I try to locate more of the same or
similar type.

I would be most grateful if anyone could assist me on this matter.

I could compile a summary of the replies I receive later on.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
Nina

Visite a página do grupo Etnolingüística, no endereço http://www.etnolinguistica.org

Submeta textos para discussão, contribua com a "Biblioteca Virtual", sugira conexões que venham a ser do interesse dos membros do grupo.  Enfim, participe!

Para uma lista de dicas e normas para o uso da lista, favor dirigir-se ao endereço seguinte:

http://www.geocities.com/linguasindigenas/normas

Para cancelar sua assinatura deste grupo, envie um e-mail para: