[etnolinguistica] Carta pessoal

Daniel Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Thu Sep 4 16:38:32 UTC 2003

Gente,

Nao gosto de trazer assuntos pessoais a algum forum publico que nem a
Etnolinguistica, mas fiquei sabendo de um boato que aparentemente se
espalhou por varios departamentos linguisticos. Escrevo a minha
resposta em ingles, porque as pessoas que me autorizaram de usar os
seus nomes nao falam portugues.

Peco mil desculpas por tomar o tempo dos leitores com este tipo de
coisa, mas esse boato poderia me afetar profissionalmente entre
justamente a comunidade dos 'amazonistas'.

Sinceramente,

Daniel
***************************

Folks,

It has come to my attention that a rumour is circulating about my
departure from the University of Pittsburgh. I have heard, from more
than one source, that according to this rumour I was forced to leave
the University of Pittsburgh for misuse of university funds. This
rumour is false.

I resigned my tenured full-professorship at the University of
Pittsburgh on August 31, 1999 voluntarily and on my own initiative.
  I was in no way pressured to make this decision.

For anyone who insists on believing that I did not
leave the University of Pittsburgh voluntarily or that the details are
other than I have just stated, the following individuals have agreed
to support my statement that I resigned voluntarily and on my own
initiative: (i) Professor Sarah Grey Thomason, Professor of
Linguistics at the University of Michigan and former Professor at the
University of Pittsburgh (thomason at umich.edu); (ii) Professor David
Brumble (brumble+ at pitt.edu), Professor of English Literature at the
University of Pittsburgh and Dean of Undergraduate Studies at the
University of Pittsburgh at the time I resigned; (iii) Dr. Alan Juffs,
current Chair of the Department of Linguistics at Pitt
(juffs+ at pitt.edu); and (iv) Prof. N. John Cooper, Dean of the Faculty
of Arts and Sciences in the University of Pittsburgh, who was my
immediate supervisor at the time of my resignation.

I will not speculate as to the cause of this rumour.
I would ask, however, that people refuse
to circulate or give it credence.

Sincerely,

Daniel Everett