Sugestões à moção

Pattie Epps pepps at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Sep 1 10:00:47 UTC 2006

Prezados membros da lista, Júnior, e Sebastian,

Como falante nativo de inglés, fiz alguns
modificações ao texto da moção sugerido por
Júnior e Sebastian. Espero que ajudar!

O texto se encontre abaixo.

Um abraço para todos,
Pattie

We, the undersigned researchers working with indigenous languages of Brazil and
adjacent regions and leaders of Indian organizations (participating
in the discussion list "Etnolinguistica"), and the Museu
Paraense Emílio Goeldi, a research institution of the Brazilian Ministry of
Science and Technology, want to express our
concern regarding the points that were raised by
Dr. Hein van der Voort
in the SSILA-Bulletin number 242 of August 22 of 2006, and
show our support for the general position taken by Dr. van der
Voort (full text is given below).

In brief, Dr. van der Voort states that the decision to adopt the
Ethnologue's language codes as the reference standard for the
languages of the world (also called ISO 639-3) was not fully
discussed within the linguistic community. He also questions the
validity of this decision from the perspective of
ethical concerns (should a religious
organization be in charge of such an effort?) and accuracy
(Ethnologue is an error-ridden, though extensive, publication).

He proposes that efforts like UNESCO's Redbook of the
Endangered Languages of the World be considered
as an alternative to SIL's Ethnologue.

We feel strongly that there is only one sensitive answer --
"NO"-- to the central question raised by Dr. van
der Voort: "should we as scientists collaborate
so directly with a
proselytizing organization, lending it legitimacy and potentially
contributing to its ultimate goal -- that of replacing indigenous
cultures with a specific Western one?"

Like several of us, many researchers worldwide may have information
that would represent a valuable contribution to
the ISO list, but feel reluctant to
share it with the editors of the Ethnologue for the very reasons given
by Dr. v.d. Voort.  This puts the cooperative work on a reliable and
widely accepted ISO standard at serious risk.

Therefore, we urge that the current state of affairs with respect
to the ISO 639-3 be reviewed, and that another, purely academic
institution (such as a committee or commission to be created) be given the
responsibility of maintaining and revising the ISO list of languages
and their codes. An academic commission of SSILA assigned to
evaluate proposals for changes to the survey of
South American languages could serve as a model
for other regions, and some means of coordinating
regional commissions could be established in
order to assure similar
criteria and standards.

It would be certainly a time-consuming project, but the final
product would be considerably more reliable and
more likely to receive widespread acceptance than
the Ethnologue alternative.

In sum, it is important to us that the ISO 639-3 standard and a
possible permanent ISO 639-3 commission be clearly separated from
the Ethnologue and SIL in general, making it possible for any
linguist to contribute to the ISO standard without contributing
direct or indirectly to SIL.

With this motion, it is our intention to invite linguists who share
our view to make this position clear in their local academic
associations and to start a worldwide discussion about a possible
different solution for the ISO 639-3.