Tupinamb á paí, 'homem branco'?

Pierric Sans pierricsans at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 9 12:07:59 UTC 2009

Dear Eduardo,
In chiquitano, an isolated or possibly macro-gê language of Bolivia, [paIs]
means *women*, or *breast*. It can also mean *priest*, I guess because of
the 'dresses' they wear, and the feminine mood they used to express
themselves (chiquitano is a language where there is a distinction between
masculine and feminine mood, depending on the gender of the speaker).

In [paIs] the 'I' is the high central unrounded vowel, and 's' is the
retroflex unvoiced fricative (in the dialect of Lomerìo) (personal data)

I don't have the word "chief" in my corpus, but Geleote Tormo says :
[yIriabus]

I hope it will help,
Best,
Pierric Sans

Galeote Tormo, Jesus (1996) : Manityana auki besIro. Gramatica moderna de la
lengua Chiquitana y vocabulario basico. 1st edited in 1993. Centro de
estudios chiquitanos. Santa Cruz, Bolivia.