Comprar e vender nas l ínguas TG

Francoise Rose Francoise.Rose at UNIV-LYON2.FR
Wed Mar 17 08:44:44 UTC 2010

Dear Emerson,

In Emerillon, money is kalakuli. I think the same wrd is used in the Cariban languages of French Guiana, and supposedly a borrowing from clacul (calculus).

To pay is expressed via the verb -pume?eŋ (with final nvelar nasal) which apparently has a broader meaning « to give in exchange. » It is made up of epɨ (synchronically ‘expensive’ in Em.) and me?eŋ « give ».

The opposite meaning ( ‘take in exchange’, among which meanings is ‘receive in paiement’) is -epɨ-ekɨʤ (again made up of epɨ and a phonological variant of ɨkɨʤ ‘take’).

Best,

Françoise

  _____