[Fwd: ICA Call for papers]

Hein van der Voort hvoort at XS4ALL.NL
Thu May 19 22:38:55 UTC 2011

Prezados colegas,

A chamada em baixo pode ser interessante para os membros desta lista também.

Abraços,
Hein van der Voort

---------------
Dear Colleagues,

If you have conducted research among the Yanomami in Brazil or Venezuela,
we invite you to submit a proposal to present a paper in our
interdisciplinary symposium, “The Yanomami at the intersection of
socio-political engagement, scientific research, and public awareness.”
Our symposium was ‘pre-approved’ by the Organizing Committee of the 54th
International Congress of Americanists (ICA), to be held in Vienna on
July 15-20  2012. The ICA organization has now informed us that the call
for papers is open from now until August 31, 2011.

Individual paper proposals can only be submitted using the online form on
the ICA website. The guidelines for participants can be found on the
following web page:

<https://ica2012.univie.ac.at/guidelines-for-participants>
https://ica2012.univie.ac.at/guidelines-for-participants.

We, as symposium co-organisers, will be given access to your proposals in
September 2011, and we will evaluate all proposals soon thereafter.  The
Organizing Committee will inform presenters of our decisions by December
2011. The duration of each talk (including discussion) will be at least 30
minutes, depending on the time allotted to our symposium. Papers may be
presented in English, Spanish or Portuguese.

The description of our symposium can be found as nr. 880 in section 14.
Social and Cultural Anthropology / Antropología Social y Cultural /
Antropologia social e cultural at the following web page:

<http://ica2012.univie.ac.at/pre-approved-symposia/14.%20social%20and%20cultural%20Anthropology#880>
http://ica2012.univie.ac.at/pre-approved-symposia/14.%20social%20and%20cultural%20Anthropology#880

For your convenience, we have copied the proposal abstract and a list of
some tentative participants below.

We hope that you will submit your abstracts through the ICA website by the
deadline in late August. We look forward to seeing you in Vienna next year.

Best regards,

Gale Goodwin Gomez and Gabriele Herzog-Schröder

Symposium Co-convenors:

Name: Gale Goodwin Gomez
Institutional affiliation: Rhode Island College, USA
Address:
Department of Anthropology, Gaige Hall 118E
600 Mt. Pleasant Avenue
Providence, RI 02908  USA
Phone number: ++401 456 9623
Email:  <mailto:ggoodwin at ric.edu> ggoodwin at ric.edu  and
<mailto:ggomez22 at cox.net> ggomez22 at cox.net

Name: Gabriele Herzog-Schröder
Institutional affiliation: Ludwig-Maximilians-University
Address:
Institute for Social and Cultural Anthropology
Edmund-Rumpler-Str. 9
80939 Munich, Germany
Phone number: ++89 2180 9612
Email:  <mailto:gabriele.herzog-schroeder at ethnologie.lmu.de>
gabriele.herzog-schroeder at ethnologie.lmu.de and
<mailto:herzog-schroeder at web.de> herzog-schroeder at web.de

Symposium Title: The Yanomami at the intersection of socio-political
engagement, scientific research, and public awareness

Abstract

Over the past four decades, the Yanomami have been the subjects of
innumerable research studies, publications, photojournalism, and films and
the objects of international controversies and human rights campaigns.
They are one of the most well-known of the Amazonian peoples.
Nevertheless, the majority of their population (totalling over 30,000)
still lives in remote communities and maintains traditional beliefs and
practices. The public generally sees only the images that non-indigenous
“outsiders” have constructed, but this situation is changing.  The
Yanomami are moving away from being the subjects and objects of outside
scrutiny to become authors of their own stories and agents of their own
future.  Yanomami voices are demanding to be heard.  Two publications,
“Lengua y Cultura - Diccionario Yanomami - Español” by Marie-Claude
Mattéi-Muller and Jacinto Serowë and “La Chute du Ciel” by Bruce Albert
and Davi Kopenawa are examples of the new trend of empowering and
self-empowering of the Yanomami. This symposium will bring together field
researchers, supporters (like NGOs), and Yanomami voices to discuss
indigenous self-representation within a scientific framework. Presenters
will focus on projects in healthcare, education, and local
administration, which are more and more in the hands of Yanomami
communities in both Venezuela and Brazil. The aim of this symposium is to
present up-to-date information on the perspectives, projects, and
challenges that concern the Yanomami at the present time and to provide a
forum for discussion that centers on the indigenous voice and emanates
from it.

Thematic area: 14. Social and Cultural Anthropology (Chair: Elke Mader)

Authors of tentative papers (3-5)

Bruce Albert, L’institut de recherche pour le développment (IRD) Paris
France
Title of paper:  Writing Yanomami Culture: An experiment in ethnopolitics
and collaborative ethnography.

Hortensia Caballero Arias, Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones
Científicas (IVIC)
Title of paper: Urihi hami: Political roles and dialogues in the Yanomami
land demarcation process in Venezuela.

Gale Goodwin Gomez, Rhode Island College USA
Title of paper: Community participation in linguistic documentation among
the Ninam

Gabriele Herzog-Schröder, Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich
Title of paper: E TA KU - the Yanomami speak: ritual and colloquial speech
in the Upper Orinoco

Marie-Claude Mattei-Müller, Ministry of Education of Veneuzela - Direction
of Intercultural Education
Title of paper: Bilingual multimedia as an educational instrument in
Yanomami schools.