Creative Genius

Karl V. Teeter kvt at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Nov 12 19:14:14 UTC 1999

Jill you are not wrong, but basically right. although I don't know about
"patriarchal English". You still did not get to the L variant of the word,
which is a dissimilative way of saying "grammar". We grammarians tend to
feel that grammar is still magic. As for prophet, prophetess is an explicit
female derivative.
         As for gramarye, used for grammar schools too: from my folksong
repertoire, "There was a woman, she lived alone; some babies she had three;
she sent them off to the north counterey; to learn their gramarye" this is
a sad song, you know it? Next verse: "They hadn't been there, but about
three weeks; about three weeks and a day; when that cold death spread
abroad in the land, and swep' her babes away." No grammatical sorcery here,
just life... Sorry for grandstanding, but I don't think "grammar" vs.
"glamour" has much in it for feminist purposes....  Yours, Karl