exceptional women

Jessica Weinberg weinberg at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Nov 12 22:54:49 UTC 1999

I would say theories that look at the ways in which non-conformity to
heterosexual norms becomes essentialized as non-conformity to gender
norms, and vice versa -- and how that essentialization happens -- might
predict the relevance of sexual orientation to the investigation of gender
identity and behavior.  I think theories of gender performativity (like
Judith Butler's work) try to do this.  I also think that theorizing by
transgender activists, like Leslie Feinberg and Kate Bornstein, try to do
this.

I think any of the (relatively) recent language and gender work that looks
at how sexuality is co-constructed along with gender -- and other aspects
of identity such as ethnicity, class, age, etc. -- is also useful in this
vein. Some things that come to mind are Kira Hall's article on phone sex
workers in _Gender Articulated_, Deborah Cameron's article on masculinity
and heterosexuality in _Language and Masculinity_, several of the
articles in _Queerly Phrased_ (and maybe _Beyond the Lavender Lexicon_,
which I haven't had a chance to explore yet), and Mary Buchholz and Penny
Eckert's recent work on language style and the heterosexual marketplace
(from the last BWLG conference, I think).

Jessica

weinberg at u.arizona.edu