faculty search

Justine Cassell justine at MEDIA.MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 2 15:24:19 UTC 2000

Tenure-Track Faculty Position
The Media Laboratory
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

The MIT Media Laboratory is expanding its research program in the areas of
learning, creativity, and community development, with special focus on how
digital technologies can help transform ideas and strategies in these fields.

We are seeking new faculty to join in this effort. The ideal candidate will
have expertise and accomplishment in: development of new theoretical
frameworks, design of new technologies, and implementation of projects and
studies in the field.

Among areas of special interest: technologies for economic and community
development, especially in the developing world; the role of design in
learning; informal and playful approaches to learning; workplace and
organizational learning; rethinking what children can and should learn in a
digital society.

Responsibilities include teaching (graduate and undergraduate), research,
and supervision of graduate students. We expect to hire at the Assistant
Professor level, but we will consider more senior candidates in exceptional
cases. Applicants should have a Ph.D. degree or equivalent.

Qualified candidates should submit a resume, representative materials or
portfolio, the names of three references, and a concise summary of their
teaching and research interests by Wednesday, March 1, 2000 to:

Faculty Search Committee
MIT Media Laboratory, E15-218
20 Ames Street
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307

Inquiries should be sent to: search at media.mit.edu. For additional
information about the Laboratory, see our web pages:
http://www.media.mit.edu

Qualified women and minority candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
MIT is an equal-opportunity/affirmative-action employer.

-------------------------------------
Mitchel Resnick
Associate Professor
MIT Media Laboratory