gender & language & social interaction course

Amy L Sheldon asheldon at TC.UMN.EDU
Wed Oct 25 22:38:52 UTC 2000

Dear Ceci,

This sounds like quite a good idea because the published work is not
organized as tightly around linguistic categories or conversational
interaction as you propose, and it could benefit from being so-organized.

It could take more time to assemble than you might imagine because the
relevant work is so scattered and has appeared over a long time period.

a few first thoughts:

-Muriel Schultz's article on semantic derrogation
-There was one that students liked a lot, published in the 70's or 80's on
street remarks to women whose author escapes me at the moment.
-Janet Holmes' work on compliments  [in Coates, see below]
-Holmes has some work on epistemic modality and tag q's
-Candace West's work on directive-response sequences {Coates, _Language
and Gender. A reader.  Blackwell]
-Debbie Cameron's article on "young Men's Talk and Construction of Hetero
Macsulinity {Coates]  which has conversational data
-Sheldon, 1992 "Conflict Talk..." in Merrill-Palmer Quarterly. about
mitigated and unmitigated conflict talk strategies in preschool girls' and
boys' conversations
-Pamela Fishman's work which is in a few places, incl. Cameron's _The
Feminist Critique of Language_ Routledge and in Thorne and Kramarae,
1980? _Language, gender & Society (?)
There's been more precise work on pmr's since Fishman.  I require students
to tape record themselves in a conversation with someone of the/an
"other" sex and choose one of Fishman's categories to use in data
analysis.  It's a very effective assignment 1- to hear how one speaks,
2-to struggle with getting a useable definition of the constructs she
talks about, 3) to talk about conversational interaction, etc.  I urge you
to have students do some self-taping.
_Tannen's piece on interpreting interruption - there are
a couple of versions, one is in Cameron's anthology, the other in Tannen's
Gender & Conversational Interaction (OUP)
-Ann Bodine's historical discussion of pseudo generic 'he' in Cameron and
other places.

etc.

This is a quick first brainstorm and not intended to be a comprehensive
list - there's a bunch of other good publications.

can you share answers that you get with this list?
Amy