Job Posting, Discourse Analyst, Non-academic
lcamasi at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Jun 5 17:05:24 UTC 2003
Thanks to Megan for permission to post.
Posted by: dajobs at h5technologies.com
Posted on: Wed Jun 4th 02:19 PM
H5 Technologies is commercializing a patented information retrieval
technology that replicates human judgments about the subject matter
relevance, or aboutness, of email, documents, and other textual
information. H5 and its partners are leveraging the power of this novel
technology to deliver applications that enable organizations to identify
and capitalize on new revenue opportunities, boost organizational
productivity, and compress the time to informed decision-making. Were
looking for innovative, talented individuals who are at home in the world
of language and research, who have a competency for and an interest in
technology, and who would thrive in an intellectually demanding,
fast-paced, and entrepreneurial work environment.
H5s Discourse Analysts help design, build, and test the unique and
proprietary knowledge bases that enable H5s signature products, InScribe
and Atlas, to replicate human relevancy judgments. Among other
responsibilities, the role of the Discourse Analyst involves:
· Research into various areas of human endeavor
· Reading substantial amounts of email, web pages, and other textual
· Identifying the patterns in the culture and world of a community of
people, using the linguistic and ethnographic sources of information.
People who would excel in this role have:
· Solid academic credentials: minimum bachelors degree, graduate
credentials a plus.
· The ability to understand another communitys world structure
· A genuine interest in developing a good grasp of how the world looks,
from the perspective of one whose world it is.
· Established language skillsin written and spoken formsor experience as
a speaker, writer, and wordsmith. Nuance, usage, sensitivity to
appropriateness, and an ear for the fittingness of locutions in a
community. Foreign languages helpful.
· Leadership skills, personal incentive and a demonstrated ability to
initiate, develop, and successfully conclude projects.
· A sharp eye for detail, precise thinking, ability to make close,
analytical judgments, and a practiced sense of order and organization.
· Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, both autonomously and
· Some background or training in ethnography, anthropology, journalism,
lexicography, or related fields a plus.
· Experience in a professional or business environment, preferably working
· Basic computer and software competency in a PC/Windows environment,
including Microsoft Office applications. Familiarity with Unix or PERL a plus.
What we offer:
· The opportunity to use human-oriented interests and skills in a way you
never imagined namely, developing what some of the top people in the
field have called a revolutionary breakthrough of the first magnitude.
· An exciting, fast-paced entrepreneurial work environment;
· A fun and supportive team;
· Compensation commensurate with experience
If this sounds like you and something youd like to do, please send your
resume to dajobs at h5technologies.com either in the body of an email letter
or as an attached Word document. No phone calls, please.
H5 Technologies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Fling