'thank you'

Vaso Elefsiniotis linguist at YAMAJI.COM.AU
Wed Oct 29 22:57:30 UTC 2003

Wajarri people in the Midwest of Western Australia, specifically the
Murchison region, can sometimes say in response to a gift 'nyinda barndi'
which literally means 'you're good (you good)'. This was the response given
when I asked how can I say thank you. I can't say that I have heard it much
at all, so I don't know whether this is a phrase that has come into use as a
result of English custom/etiquette and British colonisation, or was used in
pre-colonisation days.
Cheers,
Vaso

Vaso Elefsiniotis