IGALA 3 abstract reminder

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Fri Jan 2 06:31:26 UTC 2004

With apologies for cross-posting. Please don't reply to me; I'm forwarding
this on behalf of Sally McConnell-Ginet.

Mary

IGALA 3 ABSTRACT REMINDER

Reminder: Abstracts for IGALA3 are to be received by midnight, 15 January,
2004.  Please follow the guidelines that appear below though we will
appreciate your waiting 5 days rather than the 2 originally specified to
resend if you have not heard from us confirming reciept--we may well be
extra busy at that point.  If you have any problems, please contact Sally
McConnell-Ginet by fax at 1-607-255-2044 or by voice mail at
1-607-255-6469, giving information as to how we can contact you.

The third biennial conference of the International Gender and Language
Association will be held 5-7 June, 2004 at Cornell University, Ithaca, New
York, USA.

The conference will open Saturday morning, 5 June, with a plenary
presentation on media issues by Deborah Cameron, newly elected Rupert
Murdoch Professor of Language and Communication at Oxford University.  Two
other individual plenary presentations are scheduled. Professor Norma
Mendoza-Denton of the University of Arizona will speak about adolescents
and adolescence, and Professor Niko Besnier, currently visiting at UCLA,
will give the final individual plenary on issues of globalization.

To emphasize the I in IGALA, there will also be a plenary panel featuring
distinguished international language and gender scholars. Confirmed
panelists at present are Professor Nguyen Thi Thanh Binh of the Institute
of Linguistics in Ha Noi, Vietnam, Professor Momoko Nakamura of Kanto
Gakuin University in Yokohama, Japan and Professor Fatima Sadiqi of Sidi
Mohamed Ben Abdellah University in Fes, Morocco.  The panel will be chaired
by Professor Keith Walters of the University of Texas.

The conference will include an extensive poster session as well as oral
presentations selected on the basis of abstracts submitted for receipt by
15 January, 2004.  Contributions are strongly encouraged on any aspect of
the interaction of language with gender and/or sexuality, and we welcome
contributors from anywhere in the world.  The conference closes at
lunchtime, Monday, 7 June, 2004, but there will be several post-conference
participatory workshops scheduled the afternoon of 7 June.  Ithaca is
located in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of central New York State, a
pleasant locale for those who might want to combine a trip to the
conference with vacationing.  Further information is available at
http://ling.cornell.edu/igala3/.  The Call for Abstracts appears there as
well as below.

Call for Abstracts

The International Gender and Language Association invites abstracts for
IGALA 3, to be held 5-7 June, 2004.  We seek presentations that deal with
language in relation to gender and/or sexuality.  Presentations will be in
the form of 20-minute papers (followed by 5-minute discussion period) or
posters (presented during plenary session with presenters available for
discussion). All presenters, whether of 20 minute talks or posters, will be
listed in the program, and all accepted abstracts will appear in the
program abstract booklet.  There will be limited time for oral
presentations and posters are strongly encouraged. Guidelines for
Abstracts, Guidelines for 20-minute Papers, and Guidelines for Posters are
posted on the conference website, www.linguistics.cornell.edu/igala3/.

The conference is interdisciplinary, and we invite work on diverse
languages from a variety of fields, including not only linguistics but also
such fields as anthropology, education, feminist studies, philosophy, queer
studies, and sociology.  The conference is also international, and we
especially encourage submissions from scholars living or working outside
North America and western Europe.  Each person may submit at most one
individual and one jointly authored abstract. Abstracts will be anonymously
reviewed.

Submissions should consist of the following:

o Name(s) of author(s) (should not appear in text of the abstract)
o Author affiliation(s), email, phone number, mailing address
o Indication of whether the presentation is to be considered as an oral
paper, a poster, or either
o Equipment requests (e.g., overhead, TV/VCR, CD/cassette play-request only
what you are sure is needed and contact organizers if you have additional
needs)
o Two empty spaces
o Title
o Up to 3 key words identifying subject matter of the presentation (e.g.,
variation, adolescence, profanity)
o Abstract text (no longer than 500 words, include precise word count)

Abstracts should present clearly and specifically the main points to be
made in the presentation.  No more than one individually authored
presentation and one co-authored presentation may be submitted by the same
person.

Please submit your abstract as a regular, single email message and do not
send any attachments or use any special formatting.  See Guidelines for
Abstracts at http://ling.cornell.edu/igala3/.  Email abstracts to
igala3 at cornell.edu. If you do not receive email confirmation within 5 days
of emailing your submission, please resend. Faxed abstracts will not be
accepted. If you do not have access to email, please send a  message to the
address below for alternative submission instructions.

IGALA 3
Department of Linguistics
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-4701, USA

Deadline for receipt of abstracts: 15 January, 2004
Notification: 28 February, 2004

--

Sally McConnell-Ginet
Professor of Linguistics