Registration open for Conference on Language, Interaction and Culture

Valerie Sultan call_me_val75 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 13 02:19:07 UTC 2005

Please give widest distribution
11th Annual Conference on Language, Interaction and Culture
Pre-Registration Now Open Until April 28th
May 12-14,  2005
University of California, Santa Barbara

The annual conference promotes interdisciplinary research and discussion in
the analysis of naturally occurring human interaction. Papers will be
presented by national and international scholars on a variety of topics in
the study of language, interaction, and culture.

Special Theme Symposium on May 15th:
Transcribing Now:
Means and Meanings in the Transcription of Spoken Interaction

This workshop brings together scholars from an interdisciplinary  range of
perspectives to take stock of some of the key cross-cutting issues in
transcription -- theory and practice – that continue to have such important,
if often unnoticed, implications for how we come to an understanding of the
phenomena which are to be discovered in spoken interaction.

Plenary Speakers

Paul Drew
University of York
Sociology

Lanita Jacobs-Huey
University of Southern California
Anthropology

Catherine Snow
Harvard University
Education

Michael Silverstein
University of Chicago
Anthropology

For more information and registration form see our website:
http://www.liso.ucsb.edu/conferences/LISOConf2005/

Presented by
The Language, Interaction, and Social Organization (LISO) Graduate Student
Association at the University of California, Santa Barbara
and
The Center for Language, Interaction and Culture (CLIC) Graduate Student
Association at the University of California, Los Angeles

The Language, Interaction, and Social Organization (LISO) Conference
Organizing Committee:
Jennifer Garland and Melissa Kwon, Co-Chairs; Valerie Sultan, Treasurer;
Jesse Gillespie, Webmaster; Kevin Whitehead and Annette Harrison.
University of California, Santa Barbara, Department of Linguistics
South Hall 3605, Santa Barbara, CA 93106
email: LISOconf05 at linguistics.ucsb.edu