gender and computing

Janet Holmes Janet.Holmes at VUW.AC.NZ
Sun Sep 11 20:31:48 UTC 2005

I would recommend contacting Susan Herring who has worked in this area
from gender perspective though I am not sure if she has focussed on
blogging in particular

Susan Herring (herring at steel.ucs.indiana.edu)

Good luck

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: caroline macafee [mailto:c.macafee at ABDN.AC.UK]
Sent: Monday, 12 September 2005 8:04 a.m.
To: FLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: gender and computing

I am involved in a research project on women and blogging. It is
suggested that women participate in this medium at a higher level than
in other forms of computer-mediated communication, but that they are
less likely to use it in the original web logging (filter blogging)
function (where the blogger makes brief comments on sites to which links
are given), and more likely to use blogging for a personal journal (as
do many males, especially younger ones). There has been some hostility
between the two sub-communities of bloggers, which has got tangled up
with American gender politics.

I am interested in looking at this area from the point of view of gender
differences in styles of communication, and I would very much like to
hear from, or be put in contact with, anyone who may be working in the
same, or a similar, area.

With thanks

Dr Caroline Macafee

caroline macafee