Submissions System Available: 2009 Feminisms and Rhetorics Conference at MSU (Deadline: Feb 1, 2009)

Jessica Lynn Rivait rivaitje at MSU.EDU
Tue Dec 16 13:48:45 UTC 2008

Hello,

We are now taking submissions for the Feminism(s) and Rhetoric(s) 2009
conference.  Proposal submissions are due by February 1, 2009.  To submit a
proposal, please visit our website at http://kairos.wide.msu.edu/~femrhet/

The FemRhet2009 Proposal Submission System has been designed to allow you to
edit your proposal as much as you would like up to the deadline of 11:59
p.m. Eastern Time, Sunday Feb. 1, 2009. After the deadline, all proposals in
the system will become final and will no longer be available to edit.

Coordinators of multiple-participant sessions (panels, roundtables, and
performances) will be prompted for an e-mail address for all participants on
the panel. All participants will need to use this same e-mail address when
they create their account on the system to ensure that they are matched up
with the appropriate session. This feature also permits individuals to edit
their own presentations until the above deadline. Session coordinators will
be updated by e-mail as changes are made by your colleagues.

Please contact Bets Caldwell (caldwell at msu.edu) with any questions you may
have.  Below is an updated CFP.

Best,
Jessica Rivait
2009 Feminism(s) and Rhetoric(s) Publicity Committee

The 2009 Feminism(s) and Rhetoric(s) Conference

“Enabling Complexities: Communities/Writing/Rhetorics”

Michigan State University / East Lansing, Michigan / October  7–10, 2009

The 2009 Feminism(s) and Rhetoric(s) conference will be sponsored by the
Coalition of Women Scholars in the History of Rhetoric & Composition and
hosted by the Rhetoric & Writing program at Michigan State University. We
invite proposals that:

*reflect the complexity and diversity of who “we” are as a scholarly
community;

*make manifest the deep structure of the connections, intersections, and
overlaps that actually make us a community;

*help articulate who “we” are as a deliberate community of scholars, and
what that means about our

responsibilities and relationships to one another across scholarly areas and
institutional positions;

*highlight scholarly and teacherly activities that deliberately create space
for more complex notions

of scholarship and teaching within the discipline of Rhet/Comp;

*include and significantly engage communities outside of the academy;

*focus on antiracist pedagogies and scholarship; present interdisciplinary
scholarship in Afrafeminist

Rhetorics; American Indian Rhetorics, Chicana Rhetorics, Asian American
Rhetorics, post/neo-

colonial rhetorics;

*highlight the intellectual traditions of women’s communities, especially
communities constellated

around specific identity markers such as race, ethnicity, class, sexual
orientation issues, geographic

origins;

*explore the relationships between written, oral, and material discursive
production;

*and other topics that address the connections in the conference theme.

We also welcome proposals on relevant topics not directly addressed above,
that significantly engage disciplines other than Rhet/Comp, and that have
consequences for communities located outside of the academy.

Although traditional presentations are acceptable, we encourage participants
to create formats that go beyond the read-aloud academic paper. Interactive
sessions that include discussions, dialogues, and performances are
especially welcome. Proposals should be uploaded to the FemRhet 2009 web
site (www.femrhet.cwshrc.org), and can be for:

*20-minute individual presentations (250-word proposals)

*90-minute 3–4 member panels (500-word proposals)

*90-minute workshops or roundtables (500-word proposals)

Please plan to submit a title, a proposal the length indicated above, and a
program-ready, booklet-friendly 50-word blurb for the presentation.

Proposal System: December 15, 2008

Open Proposal Deadline: February 1, 2009

Acceptances Distributed: April 30, 2009

For more information: Contact Bets Caldwell, caldwell at msu.edu.