Grammar book query

Johanna Rubba jrubba at HARP.AIX.CALPOLY.EDU
Fri Nov 3 22:45:48 UTC 1995

Hello all,

I'm writing to ask for some impromptu book reviews. I'm hung up trying to
decide between two texts to use for a course called 'Modern English
Grammar' (a structure-of-American-English type course for, mainly,
undergraduate English majors; it's a ten-week course).

The books in question are Mary Sedley's 'Anatomy of English' and Jeff
Kaplan's 'English Grammar: Principles & Facts'.

If anyone uses or has used these books and has comments, I'd be very
appreciative. I can post a summary to the list, if people ask for that.
I'm interested in knowing how successful either book is, and any problems
that might arise with it (especially in such a short term of instruction).

Thanks!

Johanna Rubba   Assistant Professor, Linguistics              =
English Department, California Polytechnic State University   =
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407                                     =
Tel. (805)-756-0117  E-mail: jrubba at oboe.aix.calpoly.edu      =