Query: Periphrastic Future

John Myhill john at RESEARCH.HAIFA.AC.IL
Mon Apr 29 05:27:02 UTC 1996

The closest I can think of to this is that in Southern US English and Black
English it's common to say 'I'm fixin' to go' (commonly contracted to 'I'm
finna go' with a meaning like 'I'm about to go' in other English dialects).
I think that in these dialects it's also possible to say 'I'm fixin' a
cake' with the meaning 'I'm making a cake' (not just 'I'm repairing a
cake). This would be basically the same thing as what you're talking about,
except that I think the meaning is specifically NEAR future, not future in
general. You better check
this with a native speaker of these dialects, though.  John Myhill