Language acquisition and language change

Marilyn M. Goebel 73232.3472 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Jan 11 23:31:21 UTC 1996

Hi,

I am interested in the relationship between language acquisition by children
and language change. Are there studies that show that children's 'mistakes' --
i.e. the result of functional pressure (simplicity, iconicity, parsing ease,
or whatever) to make them the reanalyze their parents' grammars -- are an
important factor in language change? It sounds like it should be obviously
true, but I don't know of any work that discusses this with real examples.

Thanks! I'll summarize on the net what I find.

Marilyn Goebel