bees

Tom Payne tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Apr 7 16:02:15 UTC 1997

The regularized inflected "be" may also exist in AAVE, but this is not
the source of the example I cited or the ones cited by Alan Dench. I
believe there is something about the regular inflection of this verb,
and perhaps others, that is particularly suited to the "volitional"
connotation.

Tell me, is it my imagination or does a clause like "he knowed the
answer" sound more like something someone might *do to* an answer than a
state the subject is in? (Or would such a reading be an extension from
"he mowed the lawn"? I don't like "speculative linguistics" either,
but what the heck, there hasn't been much traffic on Funknet recently.
(. .)