Reply to Ellen Prince on "bees"

John Myhill john at RESEARCH.HAIFA.AC.IL
Wed Apr 9 05:38:51 UTC 1997

My original point about possible influence from AAVE regarded Tom's observation,
which made not statement at all about the personal background of the person
involved (escept I have concluded from the preceding discussed that s/he was
not black and not a young child). Even if this person was not literally (or
figuratively) black, this does not mean that this usage is not ultimately due
to contact with AAVE--as Ellen points out, there are innumerable cases like this
(how many fellow children of the 60's know that in the 1940's 'groovy' was
restricted to black people? In the late 1970's my brother consistently said
'let's book' meaning 'let's go/boogie/split'--'book' in this usage is
indisputably a black invention (popular among blacks maybe 5 years before)
but
my brother had zero black friends at the time and was completely unaware
that it had been a 'black' word. To check the case Tom heard, it would be
necessary to investigate the personal background of the person who said it,

where s/he heard it from, where THAT person heard it from, etc. I would
guess that this is likely to lead to AAVE eventually because the usage
sounds so much like AAVE.

The cases Matt is talking about seem to me different. Firstly, some of them
are about young children, where I would suppose some general
cognitive/developmental
account would be most likely (although it would of course be a good idea to
check if the babysitter from Italy gave some second-language errors in this
regard). The cases among adults where these are limited to volitional
predicates sound different from the AAVE 'be/s', and unlike anything I am
aware of in North American sociolinguistics (which by no means suggests
that I don't believe Matt, just that this hasn't been reported, although
sociolinguistics have been searching North America for white people who
have  invariant BE for 30 years without finding anything more that a few
very old rural southerners (Guy Bailey's work). You ought to tell
dialectologists about this, Matt. But first, maybe make sure this isn't
really the same phenonemon (or a variant) of the invariant AAVE usage.

However, Matt's observation and Tom's do not necessary have to have the
same explanation. Before rushing to speculate on universalist accounts of
this, it would be a good idea to consider accounts which are more
down-to-earth and
testable, like dialect contact.    John