_bees_

Daniel L. Everett dever at VERB.LINGUIST.PITT.EDU
Wed Apr 9 17:18:43 UTC 1997

The "needs x-ed" construction is also extremely well-entrenched in
Pittsburgh. In fact, this is the main reason I asked the question - to see
if there were reasons for not interpreting -en as -ing. Such reasons *do*
exist, as Scott points out, if "needs fixed" would be more expected than
"needs fixing". (Alternatively, one could follow my own personal
prejudices and say that such expressions are not English. But I suppose I
must admit that there is English spoken natively outside of San Diego.)

-- DLE

Dan Everett
Department of Linguistics
University of Pittsburgh