'bees' in child lg.

Noel Rude nrude at UCINET.COM
Fri Apr 11 02:35:08 UTC 1997

Greetings,

        Your comment on _the assumption that the "actual distinction" exists
somewhere (out there?) apart from what is in the minds of individual
speakers_ suggests another assumption--that there's nothing "out there".
Whereas we linguists seem to gravitate between the extremes of
biological hardwiring and Whorfism, how many of us know that there are
real live Platonists still out there in mathematics and physics.  I
bring this up because your "out there" remark reminds me of Roger
Penrose's books and I was just wondering if perhaps his heresy needs
answered by us.

        Noel