Gedankenexperiment

Enrique Figueroa E. efiguero at CAPOMO.USON.MX
Sun Apr 20 03:15:56 UTC 1997

Let's (if you please)imagine a language in which, as linguists
optimally equipped with "esoteric and highly formalised" techniques and
theories+methods find out, to their utmost surprise and bewilderment...
ASSERTIONS (DECLARATIVES) ARE DERIVED FROM QUESTIONS!!!!
Once their amazement is somehow subdued, they reason more or less this way:
"Well, after all, humankind, especially children, is all full of
(unanswered) questions! So it's only natural they come biologically
and cognitively equipped with a system of rules to form questions and
only at a later stage do they develop the (innate?) capacity to form
assertions..."

If we can imagine -just for a second- such a "fact", then we might -just
might- also imagine a language in which... ASSERTIONS AND QUESTIONS,
THOGUH CLEARLY RELATED TO EACH OTHER IN MORE THAN ONE WAY (for it's not
only a matter of rules, of course), ARE FORMED ("GENERATED")
INDEPENDENTLY FROM EACH OTHER, or, to put a bit differently, are both
derived from one basic and single pattern...
So, instead of

ASSERTIONS

                QUESTIONS

WE WOULD HAVE SOMETHING LIKE:

                                BASIC PATTERN

QUESTIONS                       ASSERTIONS                      etc.

(Please supply the connecting lines!)

Max