innate

Enrique Figueroa E. efiguero at CAPOMO.USON.MX
Fri Apr 25 15:13:13 UTC 1997

Dear Ellen, the point I was trying to make is NOT denying that there are
biological foundations for language, but underlining that there are ALSO
social foundations for it.
I wouldn't consider a "society" that of bees (or ants), for reasons I
don't care to go into right now. As for dogs, those who -like myself-
love them
 very much and know quite a lot about them, the do not speak,
but they certainly communicate in a wonderfl way. The are strongly
socialized by human company and interaction with them (of the right kind,
of course), so that, although they do not use language (since they are
biologically impaired to do so), they DO ENRICH AMAZINGLY THEIR SEMIOTIC
ARSENAL.
A fact, for the rest, as well known as this: isolated humans do NOT
develop language. Ergo: both the biological and the social factors are
crucial and it would be quite byzantine and scholastic to try and deny
either of those factors.
I wouldn't agree with comparing the role of the social factor in language
development with watering a seed, as Chomskyans love to do (or, for that
matter, language with wings, armas, etc.)...
Dogs are also incapable of developing LASER, computers, etc. The is
undoubdtedly a certain biological foundation for human mental capacities;
but, without the social framework and history, such thing would have
never ever coeme about! It is characteristcic of humankind that in it are
inextracably intertwined the biological and the social, constantly (and
not always smoothly) interacting.
Max