Get real, George

Tony A. Wright TWRIGHT at ACCDVM.ACCD.EDU
Tue Jan 7 15:39:20 UTC 1997

Paul Deane wrote:

> I've seen enough flame discussions elsewhere. Please, let's not have one
> here.

I agree that flames per se are not helpful, but I was quite thrilled,
to be honest, with the actual discussion of a linguistic issue on FUNKNET
after months of nothing but conference announcements.  The only thing that
kept me from unsubscribing was how easily forgotten my subscription to
FUNKNET was due to the low volume of mail.

I have been trying to get a similar sort of discussion (but more civil)
going on the GB2MP list for Chomskyan syntax, which I moderate.  It has
been an uphill battle, but we have managed to have some very interesting
and substantive back-and-forth about linguistic issues (as opposed to
calls for papers and conference announcements).  Our list traffic remains
fairly light, however.
I was thrilled to see discussions of the merits of parsers (and more
thrilled still to see the automony of syntax) discussed in this forum

I'd like to do anything I can to encourage an on-line scholarly dialogue
between linguists (within norms of civility).

Tony Wright <twright at accdvm.accd.edu>
Moderator, GB2MP, a list for issues in Chomskyan syntax

To subscribe, send the message:

     subscribe gb2mp

to the address:

     majordomo at colmex.mx