form versus meaning

Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D. bralich at HAWAII.EDU
Sat Jan 11 23:10:26 UTC 1997

At 11:10 AM 1/11/97 -1000, Elizabeth Bates wrote:
> ... any research program that sets out
>to describe competence "first" and deal with performance "later" is
>going to run into trouble, because pure data that give us direct
>insights into competence are simply not available.  That is precisely
>why we are all still having this argument.

There will never be any pure data that give direct insights into competence
any more than there will ever be a tool by which we can measure nounness or
verbness.  The nature of linguistics (except for phonology), like the nature
of psychology (when it refers to the study of psyche--mental phenomena) is
indirectly observable only.  This, however, does not mean we cannot do
research on linguistics or make statements about competence.

I realize I am begging the rather obvious comment that empirical science
must deal with directly observable phenomena only and therefor the study of
competence and most of syntax for that matter is not science.  But this is
only if we follow the belief that the only relevant objects of scientific
study are those which are directly observable and those of the indirectly
observable variety, i.e. syntax and nounness, verbness, competence and so on
are not science.  However, if we accept that any observable phenomenon is a
proper object of empirical invesitigation, then competence, syntax, nounness
and verbness are all back on the table in their full splendor and we are
once again able do discuss competence without embarassment.

These statements may seem somewhat barbarous in the light of current
thinking, but it seems to me if we really want to throw out items that are
only indirectly observable
(such as competence and syntax and nounness and verbness) then we must also
throw sceinces favorite tool of measurement, mathematics, because there is
nothing in it that is directly observable.  So, whether or not there is
direct evidence for competence, it is still a valid object of scientific
investigation whether or not we
deal with it first or later.

Phil Bralich