form versus meaning

Lise Menn, Linguistics, CU Boulder lmenn at CLIPR.COLORADO.EDU
Sun Jan 12 17:48:37 UTC 1997

The way to treat concepts that are not directly accessible (e.g.
competence, nouniness, topic, empathy, foreground...) is as
'intermediate constructs'; one tests them by varying some factor(s) that
can be manipulated or measured (e.g.how do people rate the attractiveness or
humanness of the proposed empathic focus?) and looking at some measurable
outcome (e.g. how often do people make the proposed empathic focus the
first referent mentioned in a description of an event when that referent
is the undergoer?).  An intermediate construct gets validated if it helps
in making such predictions; it quietly vanishes away, like the
Boojum or ether or phlogiston, if it stops being useful. And concepts may
be useful for one purpose long after they have stopped being useful for
others.  I'm very skeptical about 'competence' existing apart from the
performances in which it is demonstrated, but it would be absurd to write
a reference grammar or a dictionary in terms of 'performance' alone.
        Lise Menn