What is this dispute anyway?

Jon Aske jaske at ABACUS.BATES.EDU
Sun Jan 12 22:31:22 UTC 1997

Well, I think that we can improve on David's diagnosis.

I would say that the general belief among functionalists is that
formalists adhere to proposition #3, namely that "...everything really
interesting is in area X", as opposed to the proposition "...everything
really interesting is in areas A-Z."  Most functionalists probably also
believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that many formalists believe in a
modified version of proposition #4 ("...area X contains *LESS* stuff
than any other area, and therefore is better.").  Same thing about
proposition #5 (see original quote below).  (I'll skip proposition #6,
although things could be said about that too.  Unfortunately personal
attacks have come from both sides at different times).

Perhaps we're just wrong.  If so, there is a very big misunderstanding
here and we definitely should get it corrected as soon as possible.
That's what we're here for.

Best, Jon

--
Jon Aske
jaske at abacus.bates.edu
http://www.bates.edu/~jaske/
--
Nolako egurra, halako sua
"Such as is the wood, thus will be the fire."