Carson Schutze's book

Carl.Mills at UC.EDU Carl.Mills at UC.EDU
Mon Jan 13 17:51:08 UTC 1997

Dan Everett writes:  "Carson Schutze has recently published a book on
methodology (basically for formal linguists), which hopefully will
contribute to change in formal theoretic work."

Aside from reinventing the wheel MIT fashion and ignoring some earlier
work that some of us semi-generative/not-quite-functionalist folks have
done on methodology, Schutze's book is pretty good.  While it covers
some matters that others, e.g., Fritz Newmeyer and Tom Givon, have
treated, Schutze's book is encouraging to those of us who have a
sneaking hunch that looking closely at what we study and what we
actually look at when we are studying it are not wasted activities.

Best

Carl Mills