etc.

Daniel L. Everett dever at VERB.LINGUIST.PITT.EDU
Mon Jan 20 11:39:10 UTC 1997

Tom,

Nice posting. But there are strong empirical and conceptual reasons for
separating discourse and sentence-level syntax that have nothing to do
with vestigial methodology from the 60s.

If people want to pursue this topic, I would be happy to state my
reasons. On the other hand, I need to state immediately that noone who
ignores discourse and the core role that it plays in language and culture
will go very far in understanding Language as a whole. But (sounding like
Fiddler on the Roof dialogue) on the other hand there are many reasons
for thinking that one can understand a great deal of grammar without
understanding Language.

-- Dan

Dan Everett
Department of Linguistics