Question about functional approaches

Lise Menn, Linguistics, CU Boulder lmenn at CLIPR.COLORADO.EDU
Wed Jul 2 20:08:58 UTC 1997

There's another factor to consider, or maybe just another way to phrase
what you've said: innateness vs. the ability to learn and to abstract
patterns.  The functionalist approach by itself doesn't deal with
whether/how patterns are acquired; just because something is motivated by
or fulfills a function doesn't mean that it's learnable.
Some functionalists aren't terribly interested in this issue; others of
us  definitely are. YOu might like to to look at the papers on the
innateness issue in BLS 22, which has just come out.