Query: grammar on the web

Johanna Rubba jrubba at POLYMAIL.CPUNIX.CALPOLY.EDU
Thu Jun 26 20:54:35 UTC 1997

Hello, all. I am looking for websites about English grammar. I am
interested in sites that include the traditional approach, but also in
sites that incorporate functionalist or more linguistically-based
descriptions. I would also be interested in anything available on CD-ROM.

My purpose is to find supplementary materials for a course I will be
teaching
this Fall for future teachers of elementary and high school language arts.
It is intended to be a review of basic English grammar, mechanics, and
usage. I need good exercises that students can access, self-correct, and
perhaps find explanations for why the right answer is the right answer
(and perhaps why the most logical wrong answer is the wrong answer).

I will be explaining traditional grammar as it is found in currently-used
school texts, but I want to frame this in functionalism to the greatest
extent possible, and also want to find in-context exercises if any are
available.

Please note that this course will be for students who have had little to
no linguistics, so sites that rely heavily on advanced linguistic theory
will not be of use to me.

I will post a summary of responses. I am familiar with the U. of Ottowa's
Hypergrammar site already. I may use it and/or another site that I find as
a result of this search.

Thanks for any  help!

Johanna Rubba   Assistant Professor, Linguistics              ~
English Department, California Polytechnic State University   ~
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407                                     ~
Tel. (805)-756-2184  E-mail: jrubba at oboe.aix.calpoly.edu      ~