schadenfreude

George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin ocls at IPA.NET
Tue May 6 01:08:34 UTC 1997

You're quite right -- my problem is my shamefully weak German. If I now
understand the word better, it would be possible for a sadistic colleague
who had brains enough *not* to make suggestions from so weak a knowledge
base to feel schadenfreude about my situation. I have it right now, I hope?

I'm going to keep thinking, though, now that you've straightened me out,
because something in the back corners of my mental attics keeps insisting
that English does have an equivalent...

Suzette